Post yer RPs here.
Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO
Re: Physical physics are physical and such

Post by Crash Override » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
Chairman_Tiel wrote:This is giving me a ton of ideas for a sci fi thing I want to write :D
OH NOES HE IS GETTING IDEAS QUICK ACTIVATE PROTOCAL A113! A113! HURRY ACTIVATE IT NO- *message turns to static with screams heard in the background*
Spoiler:
Also,screw everything

No one needs to bother with fighters and stuff. Just dont think about,and everything will be fine.Mmkay?
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:Overusing our lack of understanding of physics is the same as using god materials.
I find it interesting how you condemn any usage of any material/alement that is not known or made of known materials or has exotic properties automatically is taboo.
I will tell you something. RL science says that you need exotic matter to build an alcubierre drive. It is a scientific fact that you wouldn't have warp drives without any of them. In fact, they are often a more valid explanation for certain technology than using quantum physics as building blocks.
catsonmeth wrote:And using something just because its theoretically possible is just as bad. You have to take into account the energy required, cost, materials, etc. If you're going to use something, it has to be feasible, not just possible.
Well, I actually agree on that one, as mentioned before.
Professor Fenway wrote: Cats, stop the crusade against slightly-realistic stuff. We are not going through this argument again.
I simply meant that the argument shouldn't be overused. Like everything else, *?* physics needs to be used in moderation and only when it needs to be.
Ivan2006 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:Were also not using one point in time for the lore anymore.
Would you please elaborate the relation between this statement and the current argument?
Just a reminder. Most are stuck in the singular, far-future perspective. We need to keep in mind that, as time goes on, more things become possible and feasible. In the first few centuries, only a select few of the technologies that are being discussed will be available.

Shadowcat wrote: Space == No G's mate and why would you fight in a gravity well?
Targeting is easy, You have to remember the other guy is going the same speed and more then likely your job will be scraping turrets off of big ass ships.
*Anguished sigh*
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:37 am

catsonmeth wrote:
Shadowcat wrote: Space == No G's mate and why would you fight in a gravity well?
Targeting is easy, You have to remember the other guy is going the same speed and more then likely your job will be scraping turrets off of big ass ships.
*Anguished sigh*
For one fact: in space, you get Gs as soon as you fire your engine, maneuvering thrusters or LITTERALLY DO ANYTHING ELSE LIKE TURNING.
And for targeting, keep in mind that those "thousands of meters per second" is a change in velocity in comparison to the starting situation of the battle, so your 'enemy is going the same speed' argument won't apply, as that is litterally the speed at which the enemy would move by you.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

*sigh*

You create "G's" by doing any maneuvers.

You fight in a gravity well because planets and systems are the only thing you fight over in space.

Targeting is done, normally, over hundreds or thousands of kilometers. Scraping turrets off gets interesting at those ranges, and if you're ever sitting completely still in combat, you deserve to be blown up.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:20 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote: *sigh*
Please stop that. It's very belittling and (whether you intend to or not) conveys an attitude of arrogance.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:34 am

He posted something which had been thoroughly debunked in the previous several pages. If he's not going to read through the thread, honestly, a sigh is a pretty light reaction.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:40 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:He posted something which had been thoroughly debunked in the previous several pages. If he's not going to read through the thread, honestly, a sigh is a pretty light reaction.
Also talking about Gs without knowing what a g is actually a measurement for.
(Shadowcat, in case you didn't get it: it's not gravity, 1g is the accelleration equivalent to a free fall on earth with no atmospheric friction)
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:He posted something which had been thoroughly debunked in the previous several pages. If he's not going to read through the thread, honestly, a sigh is a pretty light reaction.
It's not just that specific instance. I'm asking you to just stop using it entirely in your responses to anything. Given we're all more or less of the same intelligence around here, chances are you will or already have in the past made just as dumb a mistake. Ergo any 'exasperation' is pretentious at best.

Be courteous mate, is all I'm saying.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 am

Chairman_Tiel wrote:
It's not just that specific instance. I'm asking you to just stop using it entirely in your responses to anything. Given we're all more or less of the same intelligence around here, chances are you will or already have in the past made just as dumb a mistake. Ergo any 'exasperation' is pretentious at best.

Not your mate, pal.

And if you're going to backseat moderate, you have to chew cats out for his anguished sigh above my post.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:39 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:
Chairman_Tiel wrote:

Not your mate, pal.

And if you're going to backseat moderate, you have to chew cats out for his anguished sigh above my post.
I think we've already established cats has no patience for this kind of thing, so that's to be expected by pretty much everyone. However as a mod your behavior has much deeper ramifications...your role is to set an example for the rest of us to follow. This *sigh* crap only sets the precedent for an environment of resentment and hostility.

As far as backseat moderating goes, you know what they say about needs and filling them.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
*Anguished sigh*
For one fact: in space, you get Gs as soon as you fire your engine, maneuvering thrusters or LITTERALLY DO ANYTHING ELSE LIKE TURNING.
And for targeting, keep in mind that those "thousands of meters per second" is a change in velocity in comparison to the starting situation of the battle, so your 'enemy is going the same speed' argument won't apply, as that is litterally the speed at which the enemy would move by you.
Yes but still, I can go as fast as I want as long as I stay out of major gravity effects and don't do anything other then go straight.
Now if I turn on the other hand my seat belt would more then likely cut me into tiny peices then paint the shuttle wall.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Also talking about Gs without knowing what a g is actually a measurement for.
(Shadowcat, in case you didn't get it: it's not gravity, 1g is the accelleration equivalent to a free fall on earth with no atmospheric friction)
Yeah, Mixed up gravity and force there...

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:03 pm

Shadowcat wrote: Yes but still, I can go as fast as I want as long as I stay out of major gravity effects and don't do anything other then go straight.
Now if I turn on the other hand my seat belt would more then likely cut me into tiny peices then paint the shuttle wall.
Yes, you can go real fast, the question is only how fast you get to those speeds, as during the time it takes you to get there, you do experience g-forces pushing you into the seat which are stronger the faster you accellerate.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Shadowcat wrote:Now if I turn on the other hand my seat belt would more then likely cut me into tiny pieces then paint the shuttle wall.
Not necessarily just don't turn while accelerating.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Solar112 wrote:
Shadowcat wrote:Now if I turn on the other hand my seat belt would more then likely cut me into tiny pieces then paint the shuttle wall.
Not necessarily just don't turn while accelerating.
Yes but I mean while I'm flying at like the speed of light.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler: