Post yer RPs here.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Physical physics are physical and such

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:38 pm

nah, that might have been something else.
The alcubierre requires negative mass.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Same thing, actually. E=mc^2. Therefore M=E/c^2 And if M=-1 -1=E/c^2 Or -1=E/89,880,000,000,000,000 So solving for E we multiply 89,880,000,000,000,000 by -1 getting -89,880,000,000,000,000=E.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:00 am

Alcubierre drives warp space around the ship, essentially making a trip shorter instead of making the ship faster, AFAIK.

Also, Fen/cats, flight fields ALLOW computerized thrusters to do their thing (easier).

Otherwise your ships would just be giant thrusters with some guns on, and most fighters need space for, y'know, life support, fuel, computers, etc.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Overusing our lack of understanding of physics is the same as using god materials. And using something just because its theoretically possible is just as bad. You have to take into account the energy required, cost, materials, etc. If you're going to use something, it has to be feasible, not just possible.

Were also not using one point in time for the lore anymore.

And I said a few thousand meters per second. If you're changing your velocity by a few thousand meters per second then you're not dogfighting.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:50 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Overusing our lack of understanding of physics is the same as using god materials.
I find it interesting how you condemn any usage of any material/alement that is not known or made of known materials or has exotic properties automatically is taboo.
I will tell you something. RL science says that you need exotic matter to build an alcubierre drive. It is a scientific fact that you wouldn't have warp drives without any of them. In fact, they are often a more valid explanation for certain technology than using quantum physics as building blocks.
catsonmeth wrote:And using something just because its theoretically possible is just as bad. You have to take into account the energy required, cost, materials, etc. If you're going to use something, it has to be feasible, not just possible.
Well, I actually agree on that one, as mentioned before.
catsonmeth wrote:Were also not using one point in time for the lore anymore.
Would you please elaborate the relation between this statement and the current argument?
catsonmeth wrote:And I said a few thousand meters per second. If you're changing your velocity by a few thousand meters per second then you're not dogfighting.
Ah, I misread meters for kilometers for some odd reason. And you may be right, humans are incapable of dogfighting at such high relative speeds. Not to mention
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:Overusing our lack of understanding of physics is the same as using god materials.
I find it interesting how you condemn any usage of any material/alement that is not known or made of known materials or has exotic properties automatically is taboo.
I will tell you something. RL science says that you need exotic matter to build an alcubierre drive. It is a scientific fact that you wouldn't have warp drives without any of them. In fact, they are often a more valid explanation for certain technology than using quantum physics as building blocks.
catsonmeth wrote:And using something just because its theoretically possible is just as bad. You have to take into account the energy required, cost, materials, etc. If you're going to use something, it has to be feasible, not just possible.
Well, I actually agree on that one, as mentioned before.
catsonmeth wrote:Were also not using one point in time for the lore anymore.
Would you please elaborate the relation between this statement and the current argument?
catsonmeth wrote:And I said a few thousand meters per second. If you're changing your velocity by a few thousand meters per second then you're not dogfighting.
Ah, I misread meters for kilometers for some odd reason. And you may be right, humans are incapable of dogfighting at such high relative speeds. Not to mention
Humans also can't travel faster then 13mph else [smudged]
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 pm

But there are humans that can run significantly faster than that... Also Why can't we dogfight at a few thousand meters per second?

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:44 pm

The G forces would kill any pilot at that speeds, plus aiming and hitting anything would be pretty much impossible, even with computer aided targeting.

Cats, stop the crusade against slightly-realistic stuff. We are not going through this argument again.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:The G forces would kill any pilot at that speeds, plus aiming and hitting anything would be pretty much impossible, even with computer aided targeting.

Cats, stop the crusade against slightly-realistic stuff. We are not going through this argument again.
Space == No G's mate and why would you fight in a gravity well?
Targeting is easy, You have to remember the other guy is going the same speed and more then likely your job will be scraping turrets off of big ass ships.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Solar112
Captain
Captain

Post by Solar112 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:01 pm

WRONG. Gs are a measure of acceleration. There is acceleration in space, otherwise nothing would be moving in the first place. And no you won't be moving at the same speed, it's more likely to have a few hundred meter per second difference. And besides that most fighting is going to occur in gravity wells because planets and stars and galaxies are the points of interest in space they're what you're fighting over.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Solar112 wrote:they're what you're fighting over.
That may be true, but I wouldn't recommend actual combat to take place above as unless you have clean up crews working like *waits a few days* that, you're going to have some damage to the surface of the planet/whatever.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Solar112 wrote:WRONG. Gs are a measure of acceleration. There is acceleration in space, otherwise nothing would be moving in the first place. And no you won't be moving at the same speed, it's more likely to have a few hundred meter per second difference. And besides that most fighting is going to occur in gravity wells because planets and stars and galaxies are the points of interest in space they're what you're fighting over.
Wouldn't it be more logical to set up an ambush in the middle of space since I'm assuming FTL drives would travel in a straight line from point A to point B, So why not set up a disruptor halfway between there and then gank them while their disoriented.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Relatively point to point, but unless you have FTL stabilizers (which stabilize the subspace and other FTL methods to allow for precise warping), the location can vary by a few hundred meters to several thousand kilometers, based on distance. That's why fleets tend to jump together to avoid accidental destruction, why you don't jump directly to stations or other ships, you only jump near them. FTL stabilizers are expensive and really only worthwhile between systems; otherwise distance is placed between target location and entry location. Also; FTL devices never route to a location occupied by matter or near another subspace ship, so civilian vessels tend to stop before they jump, since momentum is transferred between (relative to the exit point by stopped. If your target is the station, you are unmoving compared to the station). Military ships don't really do this for security reasons, AND they're more highly trained.

FTL disruptors work best when you are either A.) following the ship or fleet you want disrupted, B.) directly in the path of the FTL stabilization path, or C.) have a REALLY big disruption field for non stabilized paths,

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:09 pm

This is giving me a ton of ideas for a sci fi thing I want to write :D
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Chairman_Tiel wrote:This is giving me a ton of ideas for a sci fi thing I want to write :D
OH NOES HE IS GETTING IDEAS QUICK ACTIVATE PROTOCAL A113! A113! HURRY ACTIVATE IT NO- *message turns to static with screams heard in the background*

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler: