Physical physics are physical and such

Post yer RPs here.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Physical physics are physical and such

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:22 am

I don't think anyone wants to go hardcore KSP or anything like that (to the best of my knowledge our spaceships still generally handle like naval ones because...reasons) but I saw this neato diagram on a site today:

It's basically showing how turning would realistically work via the use of RCS. I'm not saying this should be a *thing* on larger ships, even though they'll certainly have auxiliary thrusters to serve the same function, but as far as dogfighting...I think that it would be really nice to veer away from the traditional Star Wars style of doing things and putting a focus on basically how the above picture puts it.

So if I were a starfighter pilot, the conventional hangar would slingshot me into space so as to get some momentum going, then I would use my RCS to orient my craft and activate my main thrusters when facing the combat zone to enter the fight. Of course, we technically don't need to even have them on afterward unless executing a maneuver...my explanation for this would be that 'SMART' drives are a thing in our setting. Basically the engine is always on to automatically compensate for passing inertial fields, gravitational pull, and whatnot. To 'accelerate' really means to overdrive this function to give a boost of speed when needed.

I guess the same could be said for larger vessels, who typically have less *proportionate* RCS the larger they are since it's more costly and are thus more cumbersome. Except in bigger ships it's a question of balancing out forward facing thrusters with the rear - of course our directions are created by imbalances in the system. IE 'Ahead Full' would be 25% forward-facing drives and 75% backward drives. The reason for even having forward facing is primarily for safety reasons. Those forward facers must be present, on and at a certain power to compensate for the backward thrusters in time to make a stop in order to avoid obstacles and such. So while objects in space don't stop, every ship is going to have their backward drives on as per the traditional sci fi cliche to ensure forward movement against these 'safety' thrusters, so to speak.

When your safety thrusters aren't on the assumption is the ship gets flung into space at extremely high velocity if the primaries are active on full. I'd say this would either be a crippling blow to a ship in battle (they'd basically have to turn off their drives and rely solely on RCS and some tricky drive manipulation to get around, kinda like a fighter except without the SMART factor to help out because size) or an actual tactic to achieve maximum ramming speed.

idklol I want to write something with work. Honestly dunno how you guys did engines in the thread(s) (sublight, hardlight, gaylight?) but I mean if this could be the standard to deviate from that'd be pretty cool. This is how I'm probably going to do and interpret it regardless.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Re: Physical physics are physical and such

Post by  ҉  » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30 am

The problem with dogfighting realistically in space is that because they aren't orbiting, all the starfighters fall towards the planet and burn up unless they're constantly pointing their engines downwards.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:40 am

Adrien Victus wrote:The problem with dogfighting realistically in space is that because they aren't orbiting, all the starfighters fall towards the planet and burn up unless they're constantly pointing their engines downwards.
Not all dogfights take place over planets, and it takes much longer for orbits to degrade than most media depicts :P
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:43 am

Flight fields (the handwavium that allow the whole fighter-jets-IN-SPACE thing) can be altered - you can tell it to maintain velocity vector, but allow rotation.

So, you can travel in the same direction, but face any direction. This does extend to larger ships, too.

Vessels normally keep drives idle unless accelerating or decelerating.

So space combat (fighter-wise) is very BSG, with main thrusters to close and RCS to alter attitude and vector.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 am

pls no
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 am

Deal with it, or turn flight fields off and have to deal with gravity.

Take yer pick, mate.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 am

I'm going to be that guy again. What is the point of this thread? I'm in a loud room right now so I might not have gotten what you are trying to tell me but don't we all understand Newtons three laws?
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Deal with it, or turn flight fields off and have to deal with gravity.

Take yer pick, mate.
idk what you're even saying, but you said 'fighter jets in space' and 'handwavium' in the same sentence and that's not something I want. Is there a third option where I say screw both of your choices?
CatsVsNinjas wrote:I'm going to be that guy again. What is the point of this thread? I'm in a loud room right now so I might not have gotten what you are trying to tell me but don't we all understand Newtons three laws?
Irrelevant.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:17 am

Okay...

*sigh*

flight fields are a subset of FTL technology that allow ships to move more easily in space by reducing the effect of gravity. This is standard on any ship with FTL.

Said fields can be turned off, if you like.

Most ships keep them active to conserve fuel.

They do not, however, allow you to violate Newotwnian physics - most fighters simply have RCS systems that mimic atmospheric flight.

With me so far?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 am

That doesn't make sense.

Most spaceflight doesn't even take place in gravity wells, and how would you 'reduce the effect of gravity' in the first place? Why in the world would anyone want to mimic atmospheric flight when the system I described would let you turn on a dime and just generally be more awesome than anything else on the battlefield?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 am

Because we don't limit ourselves to physics as they're understood now.

Flight fields work because we all agree they do, as mucking with orbits and actual physics is not something everyone can do easily.

And most spaceflight takes place over or around planets, because there's no reason to fly off into deep space when you're almost always fighting over planets.

And atmospheric flight is easier for the new pilots, or lazy civilians. Bear in mind civvies don't need to turn on a dime.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 am

meh screw it

you guys can do your f16: space edition stuff

Taln are just gonna rock any fighter action I guess.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 am

Spoiler:
Battlestar Galactica Vipers manuever using RCS.
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:31 am

2l8
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 am

Chairman_Tiel wrote:Taln are just gonna rock any fighter action I guess.
ANY pilot with even a few minutes experience is going to use the Newtonian physics version.

Flying like a jet isn't required, it just exists for simplicity, mate, so the Taln are = to just about everyone.