Total votes: 13

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
cancel revision?

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 pm

So there's a pretty major argument on whether the reset shouls include major changes in game mechanics, aka realism.
Main supporter of doing so is catsonmeth, who has shown no intent of cooperating with the other two members of the Board of GMs who told him not to.
The question is, what do we do now?Do we stop revising the roleplay and continue as if this never happened?
Do we continue with the actions of the 5-point plan by kicking catsonmeth from the board?
Do you think catsonmeth will calm down and finally stop overstepping his boundries?
Or do you think he should actually do his changes to the mechanics and be left alone?

new poll
Last edited by Ivan2006 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Re: cancel revision?

Post by Error » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:29 pm

/frown

I feel this is.. off. It's less about keeping cats on the board and more "do we want a mechanics revision, or just a lore revision".

Because that's the crux. Lore, Mechanics, or both? Originally, it was only the lore. Then cats up and started editing the universe mechanics.

Bear in mind, nothing binds you to cats' rules, and ACH has a currently-running empires RP with the old/current rules.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Why don't we stick to the original fucking plan for once, we finish a standard history. If cats wants to make a GM book on universe mechanics for others to use that's his project. He's free to make whatever he wants but his official capacity extends only among history.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:43 pm

There is the problem; cats feels it was the original plan all along to change the mechanics.

I vote we keep cats, because he has been key in the creation of the lore stuff and info stuff, with the caveat that mechanics will not be touched.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't like this poll. IMO we should continue with cats, and some minor revisions to the core mechanics. MINOR. As in not many. As well as a reset to the lore. The other option that I'd be fine with is no central commanding body, and A set of rules held up by our current moderator, Commander Error. As well as letting each person's RP be commanded by them. The small set of rules would only apply to "canon" RPs.

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Luna » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:04 pm

You guys all say you vote to keep Cats but i'm the only one who actually voted... But yes I think we should keep him on. A lore overhaul is needed, mechanics could be changed but it's not necessary.
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:12 pm

We keep cats, lore is overhauled but mechanics untouched. And we need a central commanding body to make sure the lore is properly maintained and working with every RP.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:29 am

CatsVsNinjas wrote:You guys all say you vote to keep Cats but i'm the only one who actually voted... But yes I think we should keep him on. A lore overhaul is needed, mechanics could be changed but it's not necessary.
^this
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:31 pm

since many people have been unhappy with the poll, I changed it to no longer be about catsonmeth, but rather just what we do
Quotes:
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Let's allow those whose only contribution have been hindering the process to take over under the will of someone who's displayed a vast ignorance of the fundamental aspects of the reset. The lore requires a change in mechanics. The new formats require a change in mechanics. If you aren't capable of accepting that, then you should just scrap the entire thing.

It seems like you people never even attempted to understand my original suggestion. I simply meant that an explanation based on physical theory (or at least canon theory, which remains undefined because of your resistance) is required for technology and the function of that technology should be within the range of not-fucking-retarded based on the explanation and physical principals behind it (shields were the topic that sparked this tick contest, that's far from resolved). This leads to the banishment of god materials and stupid physics because, if it can't be explained without the use of things within the range of not-fucking-retarded, then it shouldn't exist within our universe at all, at least within the first few hundred years of lore (I'm not sure if many of you understand the concept of time either). The need exits to define the physics of the universe and I couldn't satisfy everyone. knew a group would be upset. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the loudest, most obnoxious one. But I digress. Defining the physics. It's a lazy writing prevention device and it actually allows for quite a bit of other new devices to work their way into the lore if you want to take a little time to think about it. At least it'll make lore less childish (why even bother when giant, firebreathing owls are a major canon point, really).

If you think I'm just being bitter, then you're goddamn right I'm bitter. It seems like some of you saw what used to be my want to improve the universe as a challenge and an invitation to become my personal enemy. I'm so sorry that I was trying to be honest and not so pretentiously over-diplomatic. Let's rub mucus membranes and make up. And please don't say "You were being a megalomaniac and developing a god complex, cats, and little ol' me was just being the white knight that everyone needed and deserved *violent * sounds*." I just can't handle that level of moral autofellatio from anyone at this point. I realized that I'd have to do some things that people wouldn't like when I started, but I didn't realize that a change like requiring people to explain their shield mechanisms would set you all off so quickly and catastrophically. Can't say I wasn't warned, though. Then again, maybe I am taking this a bit too personally, it is kind of difficult not to when the people that I chose (or were chosen) to build the lore alongside me assist only in its downfall.

Thus ends my justification and insults. Probably. Probably not, actually, I know someone will have some asinine comment to which I'll be forced to make an equally asinine comeback. If you decide to scrap the program (which seems to be the popular choice at the moment), I'll probably stay out of the RP section for a while, at least the lore writing/structuring parts. At least I'll try. I know I'll just drag myself back here, though, because I have one hell of a self-destructive streak, apparently. As much as I wish I didn't care, I still do.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Cats, go back and reread your original 5-point plan.

You cover altering lore. You cover altering the meta-mechanics (you advocated a turn-based or similar structure). Nowhere in that post do you mention altering the in-universe rules (yes, they did exist, in an unwritten format).

If you still want to push your system, go ahead, but consider anything I've submitted noncanon and for my own reference only.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:33 pm

I have identified the misunderstanding here. From your initial shield comment, everyone seemed to believe you wanted to absolutely remove semi-realistic stuff (like shields) when you were just advocating for them to be grounded in physics. I understand now.

And I propose a middle ground- the mechanics are changed with catsonmeth's plan, to this caveat: All technology must have a plausible and realistic explanation for how they work and what allows them to work.

BUT, since our understanding of the Laws of Physics is incomplete, we don't really have a clear definition of realism. THEREFORE, you can have technology that skirts outside current physics, as long as the principles behind them are based on our understanding of physics and doesn't completely violate them.

Lets solve the initial problem: Shields. They are designed as barriers to anything going past it with high enough energy, at least, the classic energy shielding is. It works through a series of magnetic fields, electromagnetic radiation, and lasers to create a semi-permeable wall of Photons around the ship. These photons are energy but act as if they were matter, absorbing both energy and kinetic blows to a degree. They can only absorb high energy impacts (like bullets), and otherwise they just dissipate around the incoming object.

EXPLANATION: Recent experiments prove that light can be manipulated to act like a solid or a material, and other experiments have proven that light can be bent without gravity. By combining the two, we can make a literal "wall" of light around the ship, flying around it, and continuously bending around it. Of course, this also means that you can't slap on a device on the ship and it suddenly has a shield. You need emitters and projectors on the hull.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Let's move past it and learn from it.

*violent * sounds*

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 pm

*is startled*

I had a tick reply to Error but...

But it can't be that easy, can it?

I think, for once, someone might deserve violent * sounds.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Alright, I'm going to have to hold to my prior statements. Despite cats believing this is a white knight action, meh.

Paragraph by paragraph, catsonmeth's post

Paragraph1- It doesn't necessitate a change in mechanics. It completely doesn't. The only thing that would need to be done is to define some system for shield strength and then label things. The lore as it is works just fine with the current mechanics, and the future lore could do so just as well.

Paragraph2-We tried to understand your post, and then a lot of people said that we didn't want the mechanics change. Know that we aren't physicists(afaik); we should not be expected to draw up a bunch of laws around devices that don't exist and say, "Sounds reasonable". If that's what you expect, you're blatantly insane. Explaining things using contemporary knowledge is also kinda limiting, seeing as species could exist out there(eg Strigiforme) who are far older than humanity, and noticeably more advanced. These species' technology, beyond current knowledge, could and would spread to human tech, leading to all the nifty and unexplainable tech in the RP. While shit like the Suncrusher is out the window, people should be allowed to have some individual (minorly, specialized)OP tech to prevent factionus genericus. That's my take on it. As for the last bit, if you've got problems to air out about my faction, I'm metaphorically all ears.

Paragraph3- It's not that we saw it as a challenge, it's that we thought what you were doing to the RP was bad and tried(trying(?)) to save it. You were also extremely rude, which makes you look like a gigantic asshole.

Paragraph4- Nobody wants to scrap the whole program, don't be melodramatic. We just want to keep the mechanics about the same.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm not going to read what Ach said because I'm too happy with the resolution that Fenway just made.
— David Langford
Spoiler: