What Does Y'All Look Like

Post yer RPs here.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Re: What Does Y'All Look Like

Post by cats » Wed May 21, 2014 12:30 am

Why would a homogeneous nation of them be formed in a few centuries?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Wed May 21, 2014 10:54 am

catsonmeth wrote:A certain degree of realism has to be maintained, especially for human factions. The humans will all have to be pretty deeply intertwined, at least for the first few centuries.
Is the wiki useful yet? I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do and it'll be pretty easy to work around any sort of complexity. As for Lebanese and Greeks mixing, I just mean that I'm ripping off the military and social images/customs of the Spanish and Lebanese IRL Falange, and applying it to the Greeks. Tl;dr it's a foundation(As in Isaac Asimov) sort of thing, small population with a large amount of capital goes out to colonize a distant area of space.
Last edited by CMA on Wed May 21, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 am

Then at least go to the wealthier and healthier neighbours like Egypt or perhaps even Tourkey if you care less about racial origin. Its a weird combo no matter how you look at it though.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Wed May 21, 2014 11:07 am

Iv121 wrote:Its a weird combo no matter how you look at it though.
That's kind of the point. Egyptian Coptics might be a good thing to include, though, a big reason why I chose the Greeks is I wanted to mess around with theology IN SPAAAAACE.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:42 am

Coptics ? Oh well I just quit asking, in fact Id suggest you to remove the nationality out of the equation entirely, realistically speaking for some nation that is not even tied to those things anymore this is a meaningless mean of identification in the space age.

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Wed May 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Iv121 wrote:Coptics ? Oh well I just quit asking, in fact Id suggest you to remove the nationality out of the equation entirely, realistically speaking for some nation that is not even tied to those things anymore this is a meaningless mean of identification in the space age.
The Coptic Orthodox Church(es) have at least 100,000 members, why would they all die out? Either way, the primary ethnicity will be Greek, as much as Greeks are still Greek anyway.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Its not about dying out, rather how the Coptics decided they are from now on a space faring nation that should somehow circumvent the Egyptian government in the process of development, its too unlikely ... and irrelevant. That’s not what you were asked about when you were asked to describe your nation, those factors of nationality become rather irrelevant in space age as I already said. If you want to define specific racial looks use something more generic such as "Middle Eastern" (Often referred to as oriental even though you can generally refer like that to anyone from the east including Chinese and crap ... well for them we have a specific world in reserve called "Asian"), black , Mexican, white etc.

Last thing you want ppl to do when you try to describe racial looks is to imagine what the hell a Lebanese or Coptic look like.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed May 21, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm pretty sure this is far enough in the future that racial lines are seriously blurred.

Or people finally realized racism is bad, and so it doesn't matter.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed May 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Standard NSCD droid
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed May 21, 2014 3:15 pm

You said that was a megaman style Omega just a month back :l
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed May 21, 2014 3:24 pm

IIRC he's used more or less that same concept for about two years, so who knows. xD
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed May 21, 2014 3:30 pm

I was probably talking about the Omega from megaman I named Omega after.

I also don't recall ever saying this was Omega.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain

Post by CMA » Wed May 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Iv121 wrote:Its not about dying out, rather how the Coptics decided they are from now on a space faring nation that should somehow circumvent the Egyptian government in the process of development, its too unlikely ... and irrelevant. That’s not what you were asked about when you were asked to describe your nation, those factors of nationality become rather irrelevant in space age as I already said. If you want to define specific racial looks use something more generic such as "Middle Eastern" (Often referred to as oriental even though you can generally refer like that to anyone from the east including Chinese and crap ... well for them we have a specific world in reserve called "Asian"), black , Mexican, white etc.

Last thing you want ppl to do when you try to describe racial looks is to imagine what the hell a Lebanese or Coptic look like.
Seeing how I live in a town where people fly Welsh flags on St. Davids day, I think you're underestimating the power of people's ability to hold onto tradition. Hell, Israel is living proof of that. Also, I'll say this again, MY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE GREEK.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed May 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:I'm pretty sure this is far enough in the future that racial lines are seriously blurred.

Or people finally realized racism is bad, and so it doesn't matter.
Racial lines will last for a much longer time than the one and a half centuries between now and the (fc canon) development of human FTL.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Julo
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Julo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:11 am

I hope I don't necro this thread, but I just found a picture, showing how at least one part of my race would look like, Here you go:

This is not my picture, but it looked exactly like I imagine an alien, that lives under the surface of an ice-moon, where the pressure of the water is really high, i.e. my race.

This is the maker of this picture http://masterofgeckos.deviantart.com
Suddenly, Julo.
"This DOES NOT help!"