FTL and You

Post yer RPs here.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: FTL and You

Post by Iv121 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Well that is the unwanted side effect of cats' plan I warned about ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri May 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:-snip-
I think you need to look on your dates a bit again. So far, everything has been dated to the 2500s-2800s in the original timeline.
That would mean that the most advanced tech we'd have thought of so far would take a few weeks to properly get anywhere.
I am not saying that is bad, but keep in mind that it would mean drastic changes to gameplay since surprise attacks would be noticed far earlier and response times would be quite long.
Other than that, I prefer your system to that of Error.
Also FTL communications using subspace communications. Which FTL-drives allow in-flight communication would be another important topic.
There is no timeline, definitely not one that would be relevant to the development of FTL of all factions.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Also, ach, you can't have yttrium as your answer to everything. God materials like vibronium or unobtanium are tacky, especially if they're actual, known elements with actual, known properties. Not to mention that it would take a lot more than a chunk of any material to keep track of every single atom and then put them back together.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:29 am

Obviously, it isn't just hitting two chunks of Yttrium together to travel.

As for sooper materials, Ytrium is only used as a fuel source; armour made from it would be shit and fall apart. It's a part of the Strigiforme backstory to show how different they are from everyone else. Also, it enables the Strigiforme to have nifty shields- they run on it too.

It's either they use Yttrium or just raw energy, but the effect would be the same.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 am

Why not use deuterium-tritium fusion like everyone else? Efficient, powerful, and we're not limited by fuel (there's tons of both in the galaxies).

Mildly radioactive, but don't hug your reactors and you'll be fine.

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Sat May 17, 2014 8:31 am

This is valid? i use this kind of FTL.
Spoiler:
Eezo FTL drive cores work by exposing element zero to electric currents, creating mass effect fields. It reduces the mass of an object, such as a starship, to a point where velocities faster than the speed of light are possible.

Element zero FTL drives accumulate a static electrical charge when a vessel has been in FTL flight for some time. This charge steadily increases with the amount of time a vessel spends in FTL. Eventually, it must be discharged. The safe method involves discharging into a planet's magnetic field (for large ships, incapable of planetary landings) or actual surface contact (in the case of smaller vessels)
If the drive charge cannot be discharged, it will eventually accumulate to the point at which it discharges into the ship's hull. The heat will fry everything inside; fusing the bulkheads, destroying the electronics and killing all the crew members.When travelling across space, thrusters are applied in one direction for the first half of the trip, then the thrusters are reversed for the second half of the trip in order to reach appropriate speeds for arriving.The precise maximum speed and the time this acceleration can be maintained varies depending on the exact type of FTL drive being used. In general, the larger the drive, the longer the ship can run at FTL.
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 17, 2014 8:40 am

You lifted that directly from Mass Effect.

Copyrighted stuff is a no-no in the new RP system.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:58 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Why not use deuterium-tritium fusion like everyone else? Efficient, powerful, and we're not limited by fuel (there's tons of both in the galaxies).

Mildly radioactive, but don't hug your reactors and you'll be fine.
Because Strigiforme ships
A: Do not have reactors; they are entirely fueled by Yttrium
B: Are nothing like your hueman ships

The Strigiforme are so old that they are always completely different from everyone else in everything.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat May 17, 2014 10:19 am

They would have to have a means to get energy out of the material.

@LS: God materials like Eezo aren't going to work. Especially if they're taken directly from an existing franchise.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat May 17, 2014 9:00 pm

catsonmeth wrote:They would have to have a means to get energy out of the material.

@LS: God materials like Eezo aren't going to work. Especially if they're taken directly from an existing franchise.
Let's use Ozee instead
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:29 am

Actually, what you are describing, LS, is what I like to call a "Reynolds-Drive", named after Alastair Reynolds, a physicist and writer who described the possibility of achieving FTL-speeds by artificially decreasing the inertia of a ship to the point of it being negative, putting the entire ship into a tachyonic state. One of the hardest parts of this task would be to reach such a state without ever having an inertia of 0, as that would make you photonic and essentially freeze you without any possibility of ever stopping. Remove Eezo and say 'advanced dark energy fields' instead and it should be valid.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun May 18, 2014 11:04 am

AKA a reactionless drive fueled by MAGIC!

E: I'm not saying you can't...
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun May 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Can I step up and ask for no reactionless, please?

MagicMaterials is aight, but reactionless is just a bit far out there, IMO. Reaction drives glow, too, and that's cool.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun May 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Can I step up and ask for no reactionless, please?

MagicMaterials is aight, but reactionless is just a bit far out there, IMO. Reaction drives glow, too, and that's cool.
Tachyons theoretically gain speed when they lose energy, reaching zero energy would ace give infinite speed and two tachyons hitting each other at this speed would end existence itself.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]