The Board of GMs

Post yer RPs here.

If you have a nomination, post it in the thread.

Poll ended at Fri May 02, 2014 11:22 am

Tiel
No votes
Ach
82%
Another polling for all three members.
18%

Total votes: 11

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: The Board of GMs

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:25 am

@ cats read the post at the top of the page again and give a more fitting answer.

Plus if Fen quits RP isn't it useless to strip him off RR power as he's already not part of the RP stuff anyway ? So what that oaf basically said that if he quits RP he quits RP, that's kinda intriguing :tongue: , srsly though I really don't like your Fenway cult here.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:54 am

Ok, Iv, that was unnecessarily rude. "That oaf"? If you meant "oath", there's no F in it.

Also, there is a reason Fen is the Grand Pabbie for the RP section. As in, he's done it quite a lot, and knows overall how things should go together to make everyone happy.

If you have concerns, you may want to state them clearly, and please don't take this the wrong way, but your English lacks punctuation. It gets awkward trying to figure out what you're trying to say sometimes.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 am

Id likw to know which point exactly you consider rude. As for the specific concern Id point you again to the post on the top of the page, go read srsly I wont tell you anything else until you do so.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:25 am

Iv121 wrote:go read srsly I wont tell you anything else until you do so.
HERE'S OUR CHANCE
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error

Post by Error » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:13 am

Iv121 wrote:Id likw to know which point exactly you consider rude. As for the specific concern Id point you again to the post on the top of the page, go read srsly I wont tell you anything else until you do so.
You said "that oaf". "Oaf" implies a farm peasant, and isn't exactly complimentary.

Oath has no F in.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Okay I think it's pretty clear that the vote goes to Ach.

Iv, if you have any concerns, voice them clearly with an alternative. Everyone else, lay off, not everyone has to scold.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 pm

As I said already my concern is that the board of GMs will basically filter off RPs they find "not lore friendly" , automatically setting the chances of that RP to pick close to zero, so even though theoretically that RP can exist practically if the GM board says so its all over for that RP.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:39 pm

If an RP isn't lore friendly, yes, it can and probably will be declared non-canon. This is to avoid conflicting information that leads to stuff like Star Wars' recent EU crush - better to do it as we go along than after all's said and done. Your concern seems to be that if such a thing occurs to an RP, no one will want to participate. Not necessarily true (consider the personal RPs), but each member's preferences as to the effect of their posts on lore isn't really something anyone but themselves can control. If you want to have a canon RP, just stay as true to the lore as possible and make sure to be actively monitoring for inconsistencies, simple as that.

As someone who's been described as a libertarian and has an unhealthy habit of starting RPs I myself can't really find quarrel with this scheme of things.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

If someone GMs an RP and they don't constrain themselves to the official parameters but the events that take place jibe with the overall lore an the Board likes it then exceptions can be made. The system is nothing if not flexible.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:17 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Dat ass.

So yeah basically what Tiel said. There's nothing stopping you from making an RP, but the easiest way to make it canon is to just consult the Boardmembers. We will probably need a few RPs while we decide importnat events in history, but even after combing through the main story, there'll be plenty of space to fill. If we like something that pops up in a private RP, we'll stick it in lore.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:28 pm

prob is you gonna run out of space you know, this attempt to link it all together will lead to many questions and inconsistencies, for example why do all factions return to the same status-quo in the end of each RP ? (If you gonna say couse the universe got blown up I gonna hang you), how does the time progress along the RP ? is each page a year, a month, a week ? there are diff events taking place in those frames that do not fit one description or another, it doesn't make sense that one faction did nothing for a year other than sending a peace agreement to someone , nor does it make sense that it built a fleet in a day, those things can be moderated on the level of individual RPs but an attempt to link it all together afterwards will prove catastrophic.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Just because a RP isn't canon doesn't mean it will fail. Grounded wasn't technically canon, and it remains the best RP I've seen here.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:46 pm

NotPrototype wrote:Just because a RP isn't canon doesn't mean it will fail. Grounded wasn't technically canon, and it remains the best RP I've seen here.
Stop it, you're making me blush.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Iv121 wrote:prob is you gonna run out of space you know, this attempt to link it all together will lead to many questions and inconsistencies, for example why do all factions return to the same status-quo in the end of each RP ? (If you gonna say couse the universe got blown up I gonna hang you), how does the time progress along the RP ? is each page a year, a month, a week ? there are diff events taking place in those frames that do not fit one description or another, it doesn't make sense that one faction did nothing for a year other than sending a peace agreement to someone , nor does it make sense that it built a fleet in a day, those things can be moderated on the level of individual RPs but an attempt to link it all together afterwards will prove catastrophic.
Each RP used to write canon will probably occur in the span of less than a FCU year, they will be a secondary source and a tool for the GM Board, not the sole source. Borders, populations, etc. will fluctuate with time. That's why we're making a timeline. That was one of the largest problems with the previous lore, nothing actually changed when there was supposedly a huge event. The standard ERP format hasn't even been conceptualized yet, when it is, problems will be addressed.

This restructuring is not meant to make a frame of lore around which to play games. The games will exist more to fill the gaps and make decisions.
— David Langford
Spoiler: