Reset and Revision

Post yer RPs here.

Before voting, suggest any changes, allow a period of discussion or ask me if there is a question.

Yes, restructure and revise the FC RP based on this plan.
67%
No, do not restructure and revise the FC RP based on this plan.
33%

Total votes: 12

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Reset and Revision

Post by cats » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

The following list of points is a brief collection of my ideas on the restructuring of the RP section. Any amendments that are suggested and generally agreed upon by the community will be added to the list.

I. All lore that is currently considered canon or was considered canon at any time prior to the passage of these points is henceforth rendered void. All lore made following the passage of these points prior to the establishment of the Board of Game Masters (Point II), the Standard Faction and Race Sheets (Point III, Point III-1), or the Standard Empire RP Format (Point V) will be considered void.

II. The creation of a small group of influential members of the Futurecraft Forum and RP subforum which will be officially titled the Board of Game Masters or whatever the hell you want to call it. This group will be responsible for the development of the roleplay section, the creation of standards, the passage of lore, the monitoring of canon RPs, and other needs of the FC RP. The main function of the group after the completion of the initial procedure (set by the succeeding points) will be to establish and nurture the orderly growth of canon lore.
--1. The Board will be comprised of no more than four and no less than two of the roleplay's most prominent Game Masters. I suggest that Fenway, being perhaps the most experienced and trusted GM on the forums, and I be the first two to fill the role, with a third elected as soon as possible via public pole.

III. The formulation and establishment of a standard faction sheet. A standard format for the information sheets of factions would assist greatly in the ease and speed of recording, checking, and using faction data. The format would initially require a general analysis of an RP nation by its founder including development in the pre-galactic era, important cultural points, a brief on the functioning of the government previous to galactic introduction, and other constants. As lore is written, the faction sheets will become more chronologically comprehensive. The format will be created and agreed upon by the Board, then editions will be made in accordance to a public poling.
--1. A separate standard format of information sheets for species will also be formed.

IV. Following the completion of Point III, the participant members of the RP will complete and submit their faction and specie information sheets for Board review. General home system coordinates will be decided upon by the founders of factions. Any disagreements will be settled by the Board.

V. Empire roleplays will undergo a change in style and rule. A standard format for turn-based and chronologically-based Empire-style RPs will be made by the Board in order to assure continuity and consistency. The purpose of Empire RPs will be to decide the outcome and specific events of major points in history.
--1. Point V only applies to Empire RPs that are essential to canon. Those less essential or noncanon, such as alternate universe RPs or minor RPs, are not subject.
Last edited by cats on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: Reset and Revision

Post by Vinyl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 pm

I am in favor of this reset over the other one. You have my support, Cats.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 pm

And my axe!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 pm

While I do like some of your points, I do not agree with point V. I believe that independent empire style RPs should not be forced to follow these rules unless they so choose to. while I do believe that canon empire style RPs should under go changes.

As for the galaxy, and systems for the faction, I suggest using Space Engine, as well as the Star System Report Generator addon to generate a galaxy for the RPs to reside in.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Point V has been amended. I'll look into the galaxy stuff.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 pm

I don't like the idea of taking freedom out of all RPs and moreover force the majority of them to be your boastful story type by separating the tactical and political planes.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:04 am

Iv121 wrote:I don't like the idea of taking freedom out of all RPs and moreover force the majority of them to be your boastful story type by separating the tactical and political planes.
It won't be "all RPs" that was just discussed. I don's see how this would affect the relationship between tactical and political at all, nothing has even been formulated yet. Also "boastful?" Really?
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:57 am

While I may not be fully in favor of this system, I will go along with it and give my best to contribute to RP and lore created by and with this system.

However, keep in mind that from many sides, you will not find much new. Maybe altered backstories to fit the general history of the universe and with the developments of previous RPs taken out, but I doubt those who have already built up a faction, culture, governmental system, etc. will just dump it.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:12 am

catsonmeth wrote:. Also "boastful?" Really?
Well that’s pretty much how it looks like without anything to keep you in line, personally I prefer to at least boast around with things I really deserved.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

Looks good to me. Also, while he has a slight case of owl, ACH might make a good addition to the GMs board.

Though my only concern is the rules for the RPs themselves will force everyone into becoming Factionus Genericus, as opposed to the all-over-the-map we have now. Which I find is actually more interesting.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:32 am

@ Error: The empire format shouldn't be that different from what most are now, it'll just be more comprehensive, maybe some dice. There'd still be plenty of room for flexibility and creativity. That said it might have to go through some trial runs after development to get the right balance.
E: Ach might be a good fit considering his faction would probably still be a pretty important one, but Tiel may be a better option since he's making the RTS (?).

@ Ivan: As I've said numerous times before, reset doesn't mean we can't recycle. As long as a faction passes initial inspection (which will be somewhat more strict than before) it's good to go, no matter how close it is to a previously established one. I'll be copypasting most of the information for the Batiss Combine.

@ Iv: This whole plan is centered around the Board of GMs, I won't be running this myself.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

?

I was talking about how those word-based RPs look like, they are well ... all words I guess :tongue: .

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 am

Okay, I think I can work with this.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 pm

catsonmeth wrote:@ Error: The empire format shouldn't be that different from what most are now, it'll just be more comprehensive, maybe some dice. There'd still be plenty of room for flexibility and creativity. That said it might have to go through some trial runs after development to get the right balance.
E: Ach might be a good fit considering his faction would probably still be a pretty important one, but Tiel may be a better option since he's making the RTS (?).

@ Ivan: As I've said numerous times before, reset doesn't mean we can't recycle. As long as a faction passes initial inspection (which will be somewhat more strict than before) it's good to go, no matter how close it is to a previously established one. I'll be copypasting most of the information for the Batiss Combine.

@ Iv: This whole plan is centered around the Board of GMs, I won't be running this myself.
I'd be in favor of ACH tbh; he has a much bigger investment in the ongoing lore.

Whether or not someone's doing stuff shouldn't dictate how much RP say they have unless the two are mutually inclusive in some fashion.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:59 pm

My idea for the timeline right now is that it is written with info gained by the most recent player-made timeline. It will be made up to a certain point, and then there will be an RP.

I feel it should be noted that an RP isn't a game; it's a story.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: