Poll, Lore Reset

Post yer RPs here.

Should the Futurecraft RP Lore be reset?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:35 am

Yes, Reset the lore
46%
No, do not reset the lore
15%
Yes, but keep the current RP
38%
Other (Post Below)
No votes

Total votes: 13

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Poll, Lore Reset

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:40 pm

I want to press this issue again because cats' leaving brings this to a rather fine point. Let's be clear: FC has no canon. It never has, because we've never established any sort of cohesive system for what comprises the backdrop of almost every RP made beyond a few rules.

Rules that seem to be more often than not,

1. STREEGIFORM EVEEL
2. NEOROHM IS BLOW UP
3. SUPAR SEEKRIT CONSPIRACY

Rinse and repeat. Frankly, I'm tired of the same perpetual cycle of events. The RP has become less inventive story telling and more S.S.D.D. Cats thought it was high time we actually got around to wiping the slate and creating something resembling a freaking plotline, and he was ostracized for not taking part in the current Empires. Because somehow not participating in something meaningless invalidated his opinion. Yes. Meaningless. As long as there is no structure we're just going to keep running in the same bloody circles we've been playing in for the past, what, two years? Just how many times have the Strigiforme conquered the galaxy, anyway? I think cats made an excellent point in decrying the starmap as an exercise in futility seeing as we have actually done it at least twenty times, if not more, and yet still borders are all over the place.

It invites confusion. It invites repetition.

Combined these two give you the state of monotony that incited cats to abandon this sub. Maybe you're not bored yet, but I'm going to pull an Iv here and say that you will, in due time. I strongly suggest taking another look at cats' proposal to actually organize the RP before that happens.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Re: Goddammit can we please just reset the lore?

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I kinda see the point of establishing an actual lore, but I kinda get confused by the topic of 'wiping the RP', because it sounds like most of the stuff that has been done will be 'deleted' from history.
I think that would be pretty unrealistic actually, as everyone will hold onto their stuff. What we need to do is put it in order.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Let's all play D&D but replace magic with science and horses with motorcycles.
Bout as logical as the current universe.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 am

I always said those RPs are about the game itself, the lore was more of a shell idea for the mod itself. See lets face it , most of the burbling you write in those RPs are generally boring, that is why the personal RPs never went as far as the empire ones, instead those RPs hold on gameplay. As for the lore of each game it gets reset and rewritten anyway. So long you don't try to write a coherent lore of the RPs for the mod or something like I tried and then cats tried, there is no point in declaring that you are "Reseting" or "rewriting" the lore, you already do it anyway every single new RP.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:19 am

Yes, it's pretty meaningless, Tiel.

But guess what? This entire forum could be called meaningless.

Those of us who post in this subforum do so because we want to do something fun. Wiping the forty-plus pages of stuff that's occurred, frankly, won't help.

So we can go the other way: leave the current RP. However, generate a timeline and history and whatnot for the previous-to-the-RP stuff.

And Ivan, Tiel does have a point. Convining ACH to be a gkod guy, well, I doubt it. NeoRome could do with less planetcracking. Conspiracies are gettin' a bit old, too.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Poll, Lore Reset

Post by Iv121 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:53 am

Glad Im not falling under either.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 am

Now, the Strigiforme Evil thing isn't exactly true. While some percieve it as such, the Strigiforme simply have their own goals and methods of achieving said goals which differ from the rest of the galaxy. The Strigiforme are one of the two 'true' alien races; almost all others are bipedal and humanoid(they're the only non-humanoid, non-copywritten one though). Thusly, they have entirely different morals and beliefs. To them, the Equestrians are evil, and they are good, while to you all they are evil as you are good.

Tl:DR; it's all a matter of perception. If we reset, remove copywrite violations.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 am

Stringaform Eveel. Period.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:18 am

I've attempted to make a timeline before, but I ran into many issues,

1.) Lack of dates and differing technology between each RP make putting each in place rather difficult.
2.) There's so many RP's and events it's impossible to go through them all.
3.) Everyone has differing opinions on their nation's history and what happened when and it's all a mess.

SO this I propose; WIPE the current RP history and start over, RPing in chronological order with structures and rules in place, while keeping many elements of previous RP's in. And we are limited to this universe only.

In this example, the first RP would likely be the Strigiforme opening the dimensional gate millions of years ago and colonizing this galaxy. In this one, everyone is Strigiforme on one of the colony ships or something. Then we build from there, adding dates as we go. Maybe then the Strigiforme stomp everything? Then the portal collapses and things happen? And then, with the Strigiforme weakened, other empire start springing up ALL around the same time as humanity (Strigiforme can't stomp them this time) and we start the beginning of the empire RP. For human based factions, you start in the main human faction until you either A.) Control it or B.) Declare independence.

Nation's don't arbitrarily gain worlds and technology; they have to go through rigorous processes to upgrade everything and colonize things. No longer will you have an undefined number of worlds for disposal; every empire has a set number. Technology is developed in accordance with your Tech Level, increased by research. You research concepts and such to increase tech level and then specifically create devices for your ships for that tech level. Everyone (Except Strigiforme who's story we established earlier) starts at barely FTL tech, and tech's up.

Every planet adds 'Production' and 'Economy' to your empire, based on the planet type. Production lets you build things, economy lets you fund things. Without production, nothing really gets done. Without economy, funding things is impossible. Research requires funding. Empire-wide projects and fleets need production.

We don't build or design 'ships', we build fleets to cut down on micromanagement. Each fleet can be specialized if desired. Every fleet has a tech level and ship amount. The ships use technology available in a tech level; each unique piece adds to the fleet strength per ship. Each fleet is composed of multiple types of ships, which are selected when you construct the fleet. Each ship has a base strength that is increased by a unique amount by the tech used. For example, adding lasers to a dreadnought will increase fleet strength MORE than than adding lasers to a cruiser. Every ship requires production proportional to the tech level AND class, so building a dreadnought first thing will be unfeasible.

Every day or so (Maybe 2 days) is a turn. Unspent production is not transferred over, but unspent economy does. Every cycle is when things happen, like fleets built or such. If you don't have enough production to build something instantly, it takes time.

It's not finalized, but it's an idea. Every empire RP will adhere to this. Should I create a separate thread for the discussion of the rules and limits?

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:24 am

If you can flesh things out in a moderately simple manner, that looks good to me, Fen, but I'd suggest starting things at around the "Unification Wars" era, when the human nations started splintering off. By my mental timeline, that's roughly in 2150ish.

The Strigiforme uplifting and subsequent rebellions are pretty much set in stone; they uplifted humanity and enslaved them, humanity rebelled and curbstomped them, but almost died out in the process, both sides rebuilt in a stalemate.

What we could do, though, is flesh out where the nonhuman and non owl factions and races came from.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:25 am

This is a good concept, but the problem is the execution. While we can make up rules, in the end they are annoying to follow, so generally they just fade away or the RP dies. Iv was making a something, but idk what it is. Also if there is reset, remove copywrite violations pls.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 pm

well I don’t think humans died just like that or could fully rebel against the owls, Id assume that the humans joined forces with the other galactic nations that fought on the front line against the owls, striking them from the back so to say. The fact the owl fleet repaired it's ships in terran ports allowed terrans to slowly study their technology and sneak special forces into the stingifrome empire in order to obtain shielding technology. Using torpedoes that are pretty much the standard terran ballistic arsenal (look at us nowdays we pretty much chose to use mainly ballistic weaponry in our warfare) the terrans could destroy heavily shielded owl ships without the need for direct confrontation in close range against the owl ships, a battle that the underdeveloped terrans would probably loose. The fact torpedoes just went through the owl shields and could be launched from nimble bombers or from far away ships basically allowed the terrans to keep the owls at the distance while still dealing out damage

Eventually thx to the obtainment of the owl shielding technology and the terran torpedoes, the terrans were able to push the owls out of the terran systems and assist the other galactic nations in the fight against them. Again in this case the terrans probably couldn't stand a chance against a direct owl attack however the owls were too concerned with the advancing galactic forces ( that we BTW need to name and say who belonged to them) to give a damn about a bunch of apes in their fringe systems

What I was making was NavNet and perhaps I should actually dedicate more time to it, you know it pretty much looks like the mod it's part of :tongue: .

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:18 pm

First off, Strigiforme shields block everything, solid or no. Secondly, humans were a slave race to the Strigiforme. They'd probably steal a ship with mass rioting and then jump to an uninhibited world to rebuild for a few thousand years before they tried to attack. Time on the scale of thousands of years isn't a huge amount to the Strigiforme.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:42 pm

I have got all significant NSCD lore written up somewhere a fair amount different to whatever madness I've previously posted, but haven't participated in recent RPs because I haven't got a fucking clue what's what.

But I can always just reset it, some shit'll happen the same anyway, but it might make more sense this time.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:04 pm

You know ACH to make your shields block anything is a giant waste of energy. Its a choice between blocking even slow-moving objects protecting your ship against all kinds of weapons and the overall durability of the shield. Shields that will block ballistic weapons too are much more fragile and require much more power to run, moreover just like the plasma and rockets are not getting in they are not getting out either. To overcome this you need to basically synch your shields with your weapon systems meaning your shields are inconsistent and cannot deflect prolonged or powerful attacks. Basically in other words don't underestimate humans, especially if one day you wake up to discover all terran ships in the galaxy were equipped with stingifrome shields overnight :tongue: .