Vanguard

Post yer RPs here.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: Vanguard

Post by Iv121 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Well it is possible to make the owls heroes too, simply switch to their perspective.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 pm

I think even the owls know they're evil, they just A. don't care or B. like the role of Designated Villain.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Application

Name: Rin Fletcher

Abnormalities: Hugely accelerated nervous impulse and cellular communication speed due to abnormal cell composition. Condition also accelerates metabolism, cell growth, and mental capabilities, and causes her to have an incredibly high tolerance of electricity.

Class level: 7

Skills: Strength relative to muscle mass is much higher than average, highest possible fencing sim score, good with most small weapons, very agile, high healing factor.

Flaws: Accelerated cell growth can cause tumors (effect negated by some biochemical regulators invented and installed by Planck), difficult to get along with, sensitive to some kinds of radiation, hypersensitive.

Personality: Not entirely sane, but not sociopathic. Can be erratic, eccentric, obsessive-compulsive, and anxious when she's not preoccupied with anything. Doesn't take kindly to those that try to hinder her.

Backstory: Born on Earth, her parents died when she was young and she was placed into foster care. Soon after, she was admitted into a government-funded home for uniquely gifted and/or disabled children, where she stayed until twelve. She was able to forge some documents and exit the home. Because of her accelerated growth, she was able to assume the identity of a much older person with no need for a guardian. Though she was able to sustain herself independently, she relied on Planck, an intelligent dog that she found after she exited the home, for companionship and the various medical needs caused by her condition. When she turned eighteen, she entered the Vanguard. The military had been keeping track of her since she was in the home, and considered her a person of high value. She refused to enter without Planck.

Misc/Bio:
-Weight: 49 kg
-Height: 161 cm
-Abnormal pigments; dark magenta hair and silver-red eyes
-Extremely protective of Planck.
Spoiler:

Name: Planck

Abnormalities: Hyper-intelligent border collie. Has an estimated 190+ IQ, but cannot be measure via normal tests.

Class Level: 4

Skills: Quick runner, can catch a Frisbee up to 3 meters from the ground, works well with complex machinery and electronics, knowledge of many varied subjects (neurology, biochemistry, robotics, etc), typically good with people, can fit into small places. Housebroken.

Flaws: No thumbs, easily bored, bipolar, relies on manipulator harness and communication wetware for interaction. Requires naps.

Personality: Energetic, usually chipper, but it depends on his mood. He finds people either intriguing or annoying, but isn't reclusive and enjoys making people happy.

Backstory: Planck's origin is unknown, even by him, though it's safe to say he was the result of some kind of experimentation. He wandered the streets and was in and out of shelters and homes (seemingly full-bred border collies are pretty valuable) until about seven, when he was taken in by Rin. He had kept his intelligence to himself throughout his life, but when Rin's health began to falter, he designed and built a system to keep her condition in check (after finding a prosthetic arm, which he was able to link to his neurological impulses). He has since designed a compact harness with two manipulators that act as an arm analog and a device for communication. When Rin joined the Vanguard, she demanded that Planck be allowed in as well. The recruiters humored her with an interview with Planck, thinking that she was just another unstable abnormal, but quickly accepted both of them after he demonstrated his abilities.
Misc/Bio:
-Weight: 23 kg
-Height: 65 cm
-Yellow-white-brown brindle coat, heterochromatic eyes
-Extremely protective of Rin.
Spoiler:
hurhurhurhur
Spoiler:
Last edited by cats on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:03 am

OOC. If I read that right, cats, shouldn't the human also have lightning reflexes, due to accelerated nerve impulses?

I ask because you didn't mention it in the post.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:34 am

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:OOC. If I read that right, cats, shouldn't the human also have lightning reflexes, due to accelerated nerve impulses?

I ask because you didn't mention it in the post.
That is correct. Rin's perception and reaction time is highly accelerated and amplified, as well as cell growth, senses, thinking, chemical responses, dolphin, and other aspects.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 am

Spoiler:
catsonmeth wrote: dolphin
OOC: ITs two am. LEtss tart!

Rin sat in the antechamber of one of the swordsmanship training sim tanks, nervously scratching at the side of her chair wit a tenacity that hadn't gone unnoticed by the others that were waiting, of who there were quite a few because duties on the station were sparse and most were handled by the normal marines and navy personnel. Since most new recruits with a class rating of 3+ weren't allowed to partake in actual hand-to-hand or anything else that might cause accidental injury, they had to use the sim. Beside her sat Planck. Even though he wasn't really able to practice swordsmanship, he liked to tag along. Though she wore gloves, clothing that covered nearly every inch of skin, UV goggles, and noise cancellation earplugs, the room was still much too bright and loud and slow. In other chairs there was an extremely muscular man that was no less than two and a half meters tall who looked like he was there just to watch, a man with extremely quick, twitchy movements with the name "Luemas" stitched onto his uniform, and a few others.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am

On the other side of the training facility, avoiding his classes, was Ajax. Concealed near the ceiling, he hung off a beam and watched the groups below go past, chuckling mentally.

As soon as all was clear, he began moving (slowly) towards the administrator's office, the patterns on his skin blending in perfectly.

DeadlyMiddie
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:The Orion Imperium

Post by DeadlyMiddie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Jonathan was wargaming against the station's main computer. The scenario was a 4:1 urban combat scenario. Jonathan's force was a marine fireteam. The enemies fictional, yet grounded in reality. They also had technologically superior weapons. Jonathan decided to use that against them, employing EMP grenades to short out their weapons, then neutralizing them at leisure. The results at the end were 95% enemy casualties, with only 1 casualty in his fireteam. Jonathan kicked himself. He normally beat these exercises with ease. "More practice is needed," he said to himself. "I can't lose my edge." He started to jog toward the handgun range, on the other end of the station. He would alternate between the two.
Lead Me, Follow Me, or Get Out of My Way- General George S. Patton Jr.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Orikan stood outside on the landing platform, carefully lowering crates of goods onto the cargo transfer system. He hated it.

Some higher-up had decided his abilities would be perfect for boring business duties, and assigned him to this. He would much prefer to be fighting those revolutionaries out in the Kuiper belt, but his power was a 'secret'. His existence was confidential. As he stood there, concentrating his power on the latest crate, another man walked by, holding a clipboard. "Stop standing around," he said, clearly annoyed at his presence. "This is an active loading zone."

Orikan looked at him, and then pointed to a small plate on his exo-skeleton. Level 9. The man widened his eyes and quickly shuffled off. Such is the life of someone who doesn't officially exist.

Error

Post by Error » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 pm

After the last person disappeared around a corner, Ajax dropped down to the door and drew his lockpicks. Fiddling around, he managed, for the third time since arriving, to jimmy the administrator's door open. Stepping inside, he closed it quietly behind him.

Glancing around, he saw a brand-new book on the shelf. Pulling it out, he spotted two shot glasses; pulling another book aside, he spotted the target of his searches, an ancient bottle of scotch. Quietly tucking the priceless liquor down his vest, he placed the books back, stepped outside, and climbed a pipe to the ceiling, where he hid himself and began working his way towards the loading dock.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Okay, sorry, I've been hemorrhaging from school for the past week, and yesterday was my birthday, so I was busy. Today I have an essay to write and other shit to do and I have to take the ACT Tuesday, so I'll have to cease participation in RP indefinitely/later this week.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

CMA
Captain
Captain
Affiliation:Byzantine Falangists

Post by CMA » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:36 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Okay, sorry, I've been hemorrhaging from school for the past week, and yesterday was my birthday, so I was busy. Today I have an essay to write and other shit to do and I have to take the ACT Tuesday, so I'll have to cease participation in RP indefinitely/later this week.
Happy birthday, may the chaos gods bless you with much corruption.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Okay, less busy, I will revive.
Bic

Rin had just begun the thirty-seventh level of the simulator, the highest of the day, and with no points against her. The sim dummy had sprouted two extra limbs so that it now held four rapiers, which it swung in random sequence. She parried two strikes from the left and forced the two blades over her head. A mistake on the sim's part that exposed its back. Rin moved her single blade to strike, but was met by one of the right-handed blades. She fainted to avoid the three other swords that were advancing toward her torso from the right, but registered that gravity was much too slow to save her in this situation, and instead lashed out with an upward kick that took the dummy's arms off of their trajectory. The momentum of the kick caused her to tumble backward. She caught herself and sprung back to her feet, but found that the dummy was immobile, one of its right arms hanging off of its torso by a few electrical wires. She removed the safety goggles and stepped out of the chamber.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Ajax looked out over the docking bay. Spotting several ships, and a number of people, he moved overtop the tallest object nearby - a shuttle - and dropped down on top of it. Climbing down the hulll he kept an eye out for guards or workers, and slipped off towards a cargo hauler near the huge doors at the end of the room. Ducking from crate to crate, he saw movement, and froze.

When he saw the person easn't looking at him, he made to move, but something caught his eye. Examining the person in more detail, he saw the guy had an exoskeleton on - interesting - and then, the insignia hit him like a punch; the small emblem of a class 9.

He swore internally, and watched.

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:TERRA
IGN:Saber_Darkheart

Post by Wolfe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Shade looked on at everyone else in the training facility below as he sat on a support beam, keeping to himself like he usually did and wondering why in the hell he had volunteered to join the Vanguard in the first place, jail might've been easier to escape...and a lot more interesting. The higher-ups hadn't assigned him anything that had to do with computers or technology and he was awaiting further orders...he'd probably be stuck loading cargo or mopping the floors. That's gonna be fun. He thought flatly. Looking back, he remembered where he came from, it was so much more interesting than this and could probably teach him a lot more We're just garbage to them, and as soon as they're done with us, they'll throw us out like they always do. On his shoulder, a black number five had been tattooed onto him and underneath it a small, thin bar-code. He closed his eyes, resenting the government, the man he had killed, the world, in response to his sudden swell of emotion, the lights glowed even more intensely than before and a red glow overtook his eyes, before they burst, he got control again and the lights went back to normal...that had happened a lot, electronics and electricity responded to his thoughts and emotions, he wished the AI aboard the ship would talk to him at least, but it never did, choosing instead to ignore him by blocking his thoughts. Why did I volunteer?
Building civilizations and creating history with my bare hands ;D.