Vanguard

Post yer RPs here.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Vanguard

Post by cats » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm

"The year is 2084, last time I checked. I think it's Februrary." Commander Tzuka stared his wristband for much longer than it would normally take to check the date, sending the chamber of "recruits" into an even deeper silence. Eventually, he tore his eyes from the device and readdressed the group. "Mhm, Februrary 20th... Most of you have been in cryo for a few months. Welcome to the ass-end of the Solar system. Welcome to the Vanguard, recruits. If we can even call you recruits, many of you aren't even old enough to join the reserves yet, a few might not have any memory of voluntarily joining the Corps." He trailed off and sifted through the documents on the lectern's surface. "The official purpose of the Vanguard is to defend against any foreign threat and put down the occasional insurrection. But there's another, much more convenient purpose. The way I see it, there are two kinds of people here. The best of the best, like Sergeant Harrison," he motioned to an MP, standing akimbo a few meters away from the Commander's podium, "assigned to the Vanguard from the Marines and Navy, and people like us, labeled as 'abnormal' and 'possibly dangerous to society.'" The finger-quotes he made added a somewhat comical quality to the speech. "This is where they send the people that they can't keep track of, that need to be isolated. Of course, our particular, uhm, abilities would be incredibly useful in the unlikely scenario that we're actually put to use, but, as of yet, no such scenario has taken place." He slid papers around on the raised platform again, then discarded them. "We are humanity's first defense..."

==============================================================================
==============================================================================

The Vanguard Corps was established in 2058, during the period known as the Belt Migration, when a large number of people immigrated to the Kuiper belt and some other Trans-Neptunian regions due to advancements in construction and the development of affordable, long-range space travel. Its official objective is to defend Humanity from all possible threats, both intra- and extra- Solar. As of now, it has succeed only in putting down some Outer-Sphere insurrections and a few Centaurian Revolutionaries (the first emigrants to the Centauri systems were sent in the 2040s). No actual foreign threats have been recorded.

There are, in total, about three hundred Vanguard stations around the Solar System and about a hundred thousand corpsmen. At least half of these personnel were stationed due to having what the military lovingly calls "Extraordinary skill sets" or less lovingly, "physical and/or mental anomalies that may prove strategically useful and/or dangerous to society." The government advertises the Corps as a place where those with phenomenal talents can put those talents to use, so there are a number of recruits that voluntarily join. A minority of particularly dangerous (but possibly useful) anomalies are taken to the transneptunian isolation of Vanguard if they pose a large enough threat, where they are raised until they are either mature enough to control themselves and rejoin the civilian population or enough to officially join the military (which many do). Usually, the abnormals are classed based on the power or danger level, with 0 being a normal individual and 10 being someone with the ability to level a city block on a whim (only three precedents of 10-level abnormals have been recorded). Hawking-level geniuses typically rank about a 3. There are, of course, instances that are too complicated for the simple ranking system.

Though it may sound like a babysitting service for society's outcast aberrations, the Vanguard serves an important purpose. Revolutionaries and insurrectionists are still prevalent within the Kuiper Belt and surrounding areas. Individuals are trained to use their skills in combat or support, where they can be incredibly useful. Because of the highly-specific role of each abnormal, they are allowed to function largely independently. The Vanguard is kept on the forefront of technology and experimentation, with stations often serving as testing grounds for skunkwork and code-black secret weaponry and devices. At this time, the first faster-than-light drives are being developed, which could shorten the travel time between Vanguard stations by months and decrease the travel time to the Centuaries to less than a year. The defense of Earth and her sisters may become a necessity at any moment.

I'm going to let you go about 50% full X-Men on this. In space.

Application

Name:

Abnormalities:

Class Level:

Skills:

Flaws:

Personality:

Backstory:

Misc/Bio:

Image/music optional.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:TERRA
IGN:Saber_Darkheart

Re: Vanguard

Post by Wolfe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Name: Shade

Abnormalities: The ability to communicate with, create (as long as the right amount of materials are provided) and potentially control technology

Class Level: 5

Skills: Construction/Repair of all things mechanical, quick adaptation to any environment

Flaws: Bad temper, has only just begun to get control of his powers and a pessimistic outlook on pretty much anything.

Personality: Quiet, reserved, has a dark sense of humor

Backstory: Living in the slums was never pretty for Shade and he often found himself struggling to survive. He constantly had to face gangs, thugs and pretty much anybody else that roamed the streets since he was twelve. As such he has developed the unique ability to adapt quickly to his environment (this was more mental than physical) and usually avoids other people. Within the slums of the city he was living in, many factories (abandoned or otherwise) were stationed throughout and it was in one of these that he first discovered what he describes as a unique "connection" to anything mechanical and electrical. This was entirely by accident when a group of people chased after him into one of the abandoned factories and the machines (which had been out of operation for years) stuttered to life. One of the more unfortunate souls were caught under an industrial crusher and when word got around, the military came looking for him. When they finally caught up to him at the age of 19, he volunteered to join the Vanguard Corps rather than being taken in and possibly locked up for life.

Misc/Bio:
Hair color: Black
Eye Color: Red
Height: 5' 8"
Building civilizations and creating history with my bare hands ;D.

Wolfe
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:TERRA
IGN:Saber_Darkheart

Post by Wolfe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Just as a side note: How long do you think that this RP is going to last?
Building civilizations and creating history with my bare hands ;D.

DeadlyMiddie
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:The Orion Imperium

Post by DeadlyMiddie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Name: Jonathan Makra

Abnormalities: Ultra-Intelligence, but he doesn't use it to the full capacity. He can only use it full very rarely. Ultra-fast reflexes as well.

Class Level: 8

Skills: A military strategic and tactical genius. He can think of a plan and how to execute it extremely quickly. Deadly with a handgun.

Flaws: Cold, curt. Arrogant.

Personality: He was given a genius-level IQ at age 2, and could talk coherently and intelligently at age 3. Cold and arrogant with most people. Extremely loyal to his friends.

Backstory: He was born on Earth, where is intelligence was clearly shown. He joined the Vanguard voluntarily.

Misc/Bio:
Height: 6' 2
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Role: Commander
Lead Me, Follow Me, or Get Out of My Way- General George S. Patton Jr.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Name: Ajax Occultus

Abnormalities: Mimetic skin - can "cloak" at will.

Class Level: 4

Skills: Phenomenal sneaktheif. Fond ofmand skilled at Le Parkour.

Flaws: Rubbish at any kind or ranged combat.

Personality: Fairly friendly, and happy. Looks down on people who are self-important

Backstory: Forcibly recruited after a few years of uncanny theivery. Nothing of note.

Misc/Bio: Abnormality allows him to hide himself, clothing, and weapons (and such). Any visual sensor will not detect him - motion trackers or longwave IR sill.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Wolfe wrote:Just as a side note: How long do you think that this RP is going to last?
Depends. I didn't plan anything but the loose framework for the first parts, but those might cause the pacing to be kind of erratic, at least for the first page or two. After we get into it, it's up to the players to progress how they wish. Admittedly, it'll be riding largely on novelty, so there might be multiple batches of characters to sustain it if we don't get bored of it and cut early. I'm forecasting at least 6 pages.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Name: Orikan Gavlin

Abnormalities: Local and non-local gravitational manipulation.

Class Level: 9

Skills: Extensive military training, can handle himself well in the line of fire.

Flaws: Not very strong physically, relies on powered exo-skeleton for use of his abilities and for survival. Extended use of powers causes extensive genetic destruction, which over time degrades health.

Personality: Orikan is generally very friendly, if a bit isolationist. He doesn't like extended social contact but will tolerate others if needed.

Backstory: Orikan was discovered in the ruins of a small town on mars, almost a monstrosity from the genetic damage he suffered from uncontrolled use of his powers. He was rescued, and the rescue ship was crushed and destroyed by a gravitational anomaly. This time, a military ship with gravity-dampening tech was sent, and it was able to contain Orikan enough to nurse him back to health. He was trained in the Vanguard program and extensively modified.

Misc/Bio: Orikan cannot use his powers on large scales without extensive genetic damage. His exo-suit amplifies the power and controls it, preventing damage when he uses his ability. It also repairs genetic defects when they occur.

Error

Post by Error » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Clear.

*bzzt*

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Clear.

*bzzt*
Hush, you. We're still waiting for players and one day hardly kills something.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Hush yourself, and that's one day in which you haven't yet accepted anyone.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Name: Fred Harley

Abnormalities: Injuries heal at a very high speed; even severed limbs can be reconnected to the body within a minute or two after being cut off.

Class Level: 4

Skills: Takes risks, helps other people (most of the time).

Flaws: Rarely follows orders, acts without thinking about the consequences.

Personality: Pretty self-centered, but still cares about other people, at least to a certain degree. Believes in going head-first into problems, since they can't hurt him anyways.

Backstory: His power/abnormality/whatever you want to call it became apparent when he was 14. He started doing dangerous stunts to impress people, and sometimes to earn money. Left his career as an action movie stunt man to join the Corps.

Misc/Bio:
Height: 179 cm
Hair: Dark brown
Eyes: Blue

His body's natural pain relaxing systems work quicker and better than for a normal person, but they still don't remove all pain, so he always carries a box of pain killers.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Solar112
Captain
Captain
IGN:Solar112

Post by Solar112 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:39 pm

NAME: Sregor Luemas
ABNORMALITIES: experiences time at .5 s/s ( thinks fast moves fast)
CLASS LEVEL: no clue
SKILLS: good tactical thinker
FLAWS: doesn't like people in most circumstances, prone to mental breakdowns
PERSONALITY:
MOTWD
xO|T|WD
M(53%)O(86%)T(86%)W(80%)D(74%)
BACKSTORY: Maybe when i get back to my laptop, typing on thisk is uncomfortable
BIO:
183 cm
Brown hair
Brown eyes
not particularly muscular
Music: Later, when i'm on my laptop

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Icelandic Perehelion wrote:Hush yourself, and that's one day in which you haven't yet accepted anyone.
I decide how and when we start. I've never considered apps a legitimate technicality for this particular style of RP, anyway, they're more introductions and a formal way to make sure people don't get completely stupid with their characters. I don't ever never not accept people unless they adhere to and fail to disobey the not-rules, the opposite of which I'ven't stated and are, therefore, impossible not to follow.

I plan on starting later today at an unspecified time and not a second before this passing one, nor any greater than an eternity from now.

Probably after I take a shower. Which will also happen at an indefinite time, probably after I finish typing this sentence and click the submit button. And not likely before.

E: Because I already have and I cannot willfully manipulate four dimensions
Last edited by cats on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Are owls the real villains here?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:47 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Are owls the real villains here?
Owls are always the villains. Even when owls are the heroes. No exceptions.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW