Terrestrial Communication

All content discussion will take place here. Any topic that is based upon a phase 2 section must have a link back to that topic.

User avatar
Developer
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Progress to next rank:
62%
 

Posts: 727

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 am

Affiliation: Aye-Aye

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Well, it will never actually get that big. Compression and procedural generation go really long way, especially since natural terrain is decidedly non-random. But the hundreds of MB range may not be terribly unreasonable for a well-explored planet.

Tau

User avatar
Admin
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Progress to next rank:
73.2%
 

Posts: 750

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 am

Location: Ancapistan

Affiliation: Futureville Mafia

IGN: TehPwnzor7306

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: Terrestrial Communication

But there's still 2 problems:

1. The shortest range possible for a portable radio (with the current ratings) is almost interstellar.
2. If I shortened the ranges to distances on-scale with the planets, it would be too boring / unrealistic.
Image

Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.
User avatar
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Progress to next rank:
7.4%
 

Posts: 2311

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Location: Cuuyth

Affiliation: Strigiforme

IGN: ACH0225

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Deal with it? This is hard limits vs creative sensibilities. Which do you think is more important to avoid hitting?
Image

fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.


mfw brony images
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Tau

User avatar
Admin
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Progress to next rank:
73.2%
 

Posts: 750

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 am

Location: Ancapistan

Affiliation: Futureville Mafia

IGN: TehPwnzor7306

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Well, I posted this (with extensive modification) to the MC Forums mod suggestion thingy. It's here.
Image

Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.
Recruit
Recruit
Progress to next rank:
0%
 

Posts: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Terrestrial Communication

I wouldn't really like this suggestion personally.
User avatar
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
 

Posts: 3217

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Location: Hexalan

Affiliation: Hexalan

IGN: PCaptainRexK

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Do you honestly think a vague opinion like that is useful to a discussion that ended 10 days ago?
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe
User avatar
Developer
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Progress to next rank:
62%
 

Posts: 727

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 am

Affiliation: Aye-Aye

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:48 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

I don't think it hurts. Especially since there hasn't been any discussion here in the past 10 days.
User avatar
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Progress to next rank:
7.4%
 

Posts: 2311

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Location: Cuuyth

Affiliation: Strigiforme

IGN: ACH0225

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Think tank is slowing.
Image

fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.


mfw brony images
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image

CMA

User avatar
Captain
Captain
Progress to next rank:
12.1%
 

Posts: 1083

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Affiliation: Byzantine Falangists

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Tau wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:Making opaque blocks block sound sounds really hard.

It wouldn't block normal sound, it would just impede the range of the normal MC chat (the text thingy).

I've seen a server plugin that did this, it can't be too hard.

Sorry, didn't mean to Necro, this showed as having a new post for some reason.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces
User avatar
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
 

Posts: 3021

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Location: In a universe.

Affiliation: [redacted]

IGN: Ivan2006

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

The point is that (populated) cities tend to be smaller in MC than in real life due to lower populations.
The same goes for farms, as well as basically everything else.
Therefore it would not make sense for radios to have the same range as IRL either, otherwise range limitations would be pretty pointless.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.

Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough

Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time

CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied
User avatar
Developer
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Progress to next rank:
30.2%
 

Posts: 662

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Affiliation: Inactive

IGN: ducky215

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:02 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Ivan2006 wrote:The point is that (populated) cities tend to be smaller in MC than in real life due to lower populations.
The same goes for farms, as well as basically everything else.
Therefore it would not make sense for radios to have the same range as IRL either, otherwise range limitations would be pretty pointless.


^

I think that if voice was 50 m or so, walkie talkies 1 km, and small, 1 block radio stations planetary, you would have a purpose for big antennas and uplink facilities.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -
User avatar
Captain
Captain
Progress to next rank:
33.6%
 

Posts: 1188

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:08 am

IGN: Saravanth

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

One-block radio stations covering a planet? I think those one block radios themselves should need a radio tower or something to be able being used properly, and vice versa (And then communication "through" the planet should be impossible with only one tower (and no satellites), that is, with the other side of the world-cube if there isn't another radio tower on the bordering face of it). Communication across space should have even bigger antennas, then, or need a network of several big antennas across the planet's surface, working cumulative with each other and perhaps satellites.

The point is that (populated) cities tend to be smaller in MC than in real life due to lower populations.
The same goes for farms, as well as basically everything else.
Therefore it would not make sense for radios to have the same range as IRL either, otherwise range limitations would be pretty pointless.


I agree about the range limitations, but as for cities, we should try hard and find a way to make npc-ish populations possible on a rather economic scale. I thought of something less like permanently present entities, but more like npcs going back and forth every now and then between their assigned "home" and working place/s they are attending for doing different kinds of stuff, where they while doing so are replaced with some kind of animated "ghost" for not using too much memory or whatever it is making entities so limited in numbers. Farms could generate food for them, if they require it, which can be stored at some kind of distribution centres that feed them or something... This needs a seperate thread, doesn't it?
Last edited by Saravanth on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
5241

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3









Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

CMA

User avatar
Captain
Captain
Progress to next rank:
12.1%
 

Posts: 1083

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Affiliation: Byzantine Falangists

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Saravanth wrote:One-block radio stations covering a planet? I think those one block radios themselves should need a radio tower or something to be able being used properly, and vice versa (And then communication "through" the planet should be impossible with only one tower (and no satellites), that is, with the other side of the world-cube if there isn't another radio tower on the bordering face of it). Communication across space should have even bigger antennas, then, or need a network of several big antennas across the planet's surface, working cumulative with each other and perhaps satellites.

IIRC broadcasting into space is much easier than broadcasting over the horizon, you basically just point to the patch of sky you want to communicate with and blast it as hard as you can. Of course, that does require significantly more power, but it's still... simpler.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces
User avatar
Captain
Captain
Progress to next rank:
33.6%
 

Posts: 1188

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:08 am

IGN: Saravanth

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

CMA wrote:
Saravanth wrote:One-block radio stations covering a planet? I think those one block radios themselves should need a radio tower or something to be able being used properly, and vice versa (And then communication "through" the planet should be impossible with only one tower (and no satellites), that is, with the other side of the world-cube if there isn't another radio tower on the bordering face of it). Communication across space should have even bigger antennas, then, or need a network of several big antennas across the planet's surface, working cumulative with each other and perhaps satellites.

IIRC broadcasting into space is much easier than broadcasting over the horizon, you basically just point to the patch of sky you want to communicate with and blast it as hard as you can. Of course, that does require significantly more power, but it's still... simpler.


Should we make it so realistic that you have to face the face with the communication tower? So, if you want permanent communications with spacecraft you'd need three of the six faces given a communication tower, as they could legitimately cover the bordering faces? Or maybe, we could make it possible to communicate with planets farther away the more of the interplanetar com towers you group?
5241

"When I get a hold of a Boeing 777 I will stuff it in the cargo bay my freighter and when I find you I will engage in an invasion of your butt that will make 9/11 look like a picnic, Hexalani swine." -Kobialka, 0531015.M3
"Hyperlite, you *." -Tau, 0446015.M3









Don't tell anybody, but to this day I have a faint hope for Futurecraft, or something similar to it, to happen. Within my lifetime.

CMA

User avatar
Captain
Captain
Progress to next rank:
12.1%
 

Posts: 1083

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Affiliation: Byzantine Falangists

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Terrestrial Communication

Saravanth wrote:
CMA wrote:
Saravanth wrote:One-block radio stations covering a planet? I think those one block radios themselves should need a radio tower or something to be able being used properly, and vice versa (And then communication "through" the planet should be impossible with only one tower (and no satellites), that is, with the other side of the world-cube if there isn't another radio tower on the bordering face of it). Communication across space should have even bigger antennas, then, or need a network of several big antennas across the planet's surface, working cumulative with each other and perhaps satellites.

IIRC broadcasting into space is much easier than broadcasting over the horizon, you basically just point to the patch of sky you want to communicate with and blast it as hard as you can. Of course, that does require significantly more power, but it's still... simpler.


Should we make it so realistic that you have to face the face with the communication tower? So, if you want permanent communications with spacecraft you'd need three of the six faces given a communication tower, as they could legitimately cover the bordering faces? Or maybe, we could make it possible to communicate with planets farther away the more of the interplanetar com towers you group?

I suppose we could simulate different antenna... whatever things, they're almost all deformed spheres IIRC. Tau probably knows a lot about this. Although I just thought we make a sphere with the antenna at the origin, set the radius to the range of the radio, and then deform the sphere... well, that's basically simulating radios. It'd be easiest just to 'find' the radio you're trying to reach, and then see if it's too far away, but that remove the element of someone overhearing you, or detecting your transmitter. I suppose we could 'fake' that effect, but it would be cool to have realistic radios.
"Being a christian democrat is like being a christian satanist" - Adam Berces
PreviousNext

Return to Phase 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron